On the 25th March 2021 a surprise HSE visit took place at STI’s facility in Hook, Hampshire, in which a HSE representative was accompanied around all 4 units to ensure conformity to the Health & Safety standards required to operate during the Coronavirus pandemic. Concluding that STI is Covid-19 secure and has implemented leading measures to better protect its employees.
It is STI’s duty to create a working environment where its people are protected from Covid-19 while on-site. As the primary stakeholder, employees and those directly involved with the business are key driving forces for success, empowering the excellent services and end to end support needed to implement the company’s customer focus approach. Since the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020, STI has balanced urgent demands in medical electronics and new ways of doing business with existing customer requirements to strengthen relationships and overcome constant challenge. This is testament to the unity and resolve of the STI family.
Keeping people active and off the furlough scheme where possible also has major benefits on mental health; helping to maintain happiness and normality. This has been a key focus for STI and investments into wellbeing, such as the Mental Health First Aider team, will continue to be made alongside physical health & safety.
STI has a cross-functional team led by the facilities department and supported by HR to review Covid-19 protocols and control measures, ensuring the health & safety of employees, contractors and visitors. This has led to agile business practices and production areas that are able to adapt to Government guidelines and accommodate a diverse range of customer requirements; facilitating customised solutions.
STI continues to address the latest Covid-19 developments in all Operations meetings and will adapt procedures to the changing situation.
The amazing changes made this past year:
- Risk assessments and adoption of Government guidelines as standard.
- Facilitated working from home where possible for all employees.
- Transformation of unutilised office space to new production areas – maximising operational capacity and accommodating social distancing.
- Compulsory face coverings and eye protection unless at a desk or table separated by perspex screens – STI branded face masks upgraded to 3 ply.
- Heat signature profiling and automatic temperature testing using the HIKVISION Minmoe Terminal in all UK facilities.
- Redesign of manufacturing facilities and production lines to align with Covid-19 guidelines.
- Redesign and refurbishment of indoor canteen space based on a headcount evaluation – ensuring that STI employees had a safe environment to spend breaks throughout the winter.
- Perspex screens installed to separate workstations, desks and tables throughout the facility.
- Floor markings and a one-way system to ensure walkways abide by the 2-metre distancing rule at all locations.
- Signage in place to remind all employees of new rules and regulations throughout the facility.
STI is confident in its Covid-19 prevention measures and entirely committed to continuously improving throughout 2021. Investments are currently being made into a contactless door system, with a trial in Hook Unit A to determine the effectiveness of the technology. As restrictions begin to ease across the UK, it’s critical that STI monitors and aligns with best practices to move forward with certainty.